Part of my plan for Keighley and Ilkley is to make sure you keep more of your hard earned money to spend on the things that matter to you. Already, more than 37,000 of the lowest paid workers in Keighley and Ilkley have enjoyed income tax cuts, saving on average £705 a year, while over 4,000 people have been lifted out of paying income tax altogether.
That’s thousands more people able to make ends meet, plan for the future and enjoy the peace of mind that financial security brings. A future Conservative Government would go even further, raising the personal allowance to £12,500.
Cuts in council tax are another priority and I am working alongside Conservative councillors to ease this pressure on household budgets. The average band D household is paying nearly 4% more since 2013. Labour-run Bradford Council made the decision to raise council tax despite being offered Government money to freeze it and I’ll do all I can to fight for a reduction.
It’s about being fair to those who work hard and play by the rules.
Cost of Living - What the Government is Doing to Help
These are just some of the ways in which the Government is helping those families with the cost of living:
- Cut income tax for 25 million people while taking 2.4 million out of tax altogether. Most basic rate taxpayers will be £593 better off this year as a result.
- Cutting corporation tax to attract new businesses to create jobs in the UK.
- Cancelling Labour's planned fuel duty increase so petrol is 20p per litre cheaper than if Labour had been in office. This will save the average motorist £170 per year.
- Cutting beer duty.
- Introducing a new scheme of tax-free childcare for working families. Increasing free entitlement to early education to 15 hours a week for all 3-4 year olds, saving families £400.
- £1,000 saved on mortgages because rates have been kept low – just a 1 percent rise would increase the average family’s bill by £1,000.
- £650 increase in the Basic State Pension because of our triple lock.
- Up to £160 a year off energy bills because we are getting people on the lowest tariff.